I really love pizza, but there is something about Brisbane lacking the kind of pizza that I crave. Ever since I moved to Brisbane over 10 years ago, I have not really managed to find pizza to my taste. I grew up in Melbourne so maybe I have been spoiled for choice and didn't realize how good I had it.. I look forward to trips to Melbourne so I can score some pizza down there.
So in the last 10 years, how have I been getting my fill?
Well I now have kids and budget constraints so the obligatory Domino's/Pizza Haven/Pizza Hut/(Insert name of crappy pizza chain here) pizzas have been a fixture in my house. They are an easy cheap source of food but less than satisfying in terms of taste.
As for real pizza places, below are mini reviews of where I have been spending most of my pizza dollars. This is not a complete list. There are the one offs that I have had over the years but they were so bad or unmemorable that I cannot remember them now. One I do remember many years ago that was really bad was Lucky's Pizza in the Valley. Not even sure if it is still there, but it was definitely bad.
Ribbetts at Dutton Park
167 Annerley Road Dutton park, Queensland, Australia, 4102
Ph: (07) 3846 3333
Generally a consistent, Melbourne style pizza. Maybe the base is a little too thick and the pizzas a tad overpriced (Family is $20) but generally the right quantity of cheese and toppings. There is often a battle to get a seat for eat in as everyone goes there for "all you can eat". Worth a try if your in the area.
Service 8, Pizza 7.
Neos Pizza at Highgate Hill
36 Gladstone Road, Highgate Hill Qld 4101
Ph: (07) 3844 4636
I used to have a lot of good things to say about this place, but my last visit there was really disappointing on so many levels I have decided not to go back. The weird thing is nothing has actually changed. Anthony Conias still makes the pizzas and the menu is pretty much the same, but it was just so sad eating in. The place really needs something for atmosphere. We used to love the calzone, but last time it was a flat, small pouch and the pizza's were really not much better.. and the inattentive staff.. I think they always had that but at least the pizza was good...
Service 5, Pizza 5.
La Porchettas at St Lucia and before that at Surfers/Broadbeach
Shop 10 225 Hawken Dve, St Lucia QLD, 4067
Ph: (07) 3876 1010
Melbourne people tell me that La Porchettas which is a franchise pizza place is like the McDonalds of Pizza places. Maybe this is true for Melbournians who have such choice when it comes to places to eat pizza, but for this sad Melbourne expat, it is the closest I have found to getting a Melbourne Style pizza in Brisbane. Like McDonalds, you can expect a fairly consistent pizza regardless of which restaurant you go to, which in my opinion is a good thing. They have good bases with the standard toppings in the right quantities. My only complaint would be that Brisbaners are being stung much more for the privileged of a pizza than their Melbourne cousins. It seems to be somewhere we go when at the coast, but we have been once to the St Lucia store and enjoyed it there. The owners even gave the kids free gelato which I thought was a great gesture and will definitely have me back if I can convince the family to make the great trip around the river from our southside home.
Service 8, Pizza 8.
If you have a favorite pizza place, please leave your suggestions in the comments and I will try to visit on my next craving.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment